Thursday, June 24, 2010

Guessing Game

I woke up this morning hearing mom in pain trying to roll over in bed. I was worried because the pain patch was supposed to be in full effect by 8:00 am and it was around 8:20 by that point. After a little problem-solving we figured out that the patch had been knocked loose in the middle of the night when her arm was romping around. No pain patch = No pain relief. After a bath and a new patch being applied (this time on her chest with tape around it to assure it would stay on firmly) we waited the 12 hours for the meds to kick in. I know that the doctors are participating in a "guessing game" to figure out exactly how strong her pain patch should be, so for the first few days we are keeping a close eye on her every move. I am a little bit worried because she seems really medicated but still complains of pain. She spent nearly every moment of the day in bed and that is the opposite of what we are hoping this new pain plan will do for her. We want her out in the world making memories, going to Taco Tuesdays, shopping at her favorite stores and going for beautiful drives. If tomorrow brings another day of laying in bed all drugged up on these new meds then I will be having a talk with her Oncologist about making a change. I had to call the Cancer Care Alliance just before midnight tonight because mom was showing multiple signs of the side effects that were labled "potentially fatal" and I was not going to take any chances with her shallowed breathing during the night. Here it is nearly 1:00 AM and I feel like I just want to sit here by her and "stand guard." I know that the beast I am prepared to fight is cancer but I will be damned if I am going to go down without a fight!

Sweet Dreams Friends...

Angie

3 comments:

  1. Dor's comfort is in my prayers. She is very blessed to have such a loving supportive family. God bless you all!
    Kathy Hill-Burlington, Wa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for the whole family are going up...God is in control and asking that he will ease this pain for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband tried the pain patches for headaces he has had since his 1st chemo, he had reactions to them until I took them off, the rash started turning into welts, breathing etc.Your doing awesome sitting there with her Iknow it is the hardest thing to do. we have hospice in 2 times a week right now and have since jan, Your mom is a amazing person with a will to live this is just another little hill to climb and defeat. hang in there all of you.

    ReplyDelete