Friday, January 29, 2010

Today was "Doreen Day"


I have to say, Dor looked really good today.  When I got to the house to check on her I knew right away that my heart would get a break today... so would my tear ducts.  She had a house full of visitors throughout the day and numerous times I heard people comment on how popular she was today.  I asked who had stopped by and I was happy to hear the list of people continue to grow and grow.  She was greeted this morning by Jim Piccolo and Tom Wilfong, friends from the Athletic Department at Stanwood High School.  Then Larry Libby stopped by to show his support.  My dad's aunt Fran and uncle Chuck stopped by... and then Cathy for a quick hug... Pam and Shelly after school, and then my grandparents, Kelly and Morgan, Ann McCune, and a nice long visit from her sister Debby who she doesn't see as often as they would like.  Having so many visitors probably sounds overwhelming to most people, but it seems to be exactly what mom loves.  Sure, she gets tired throughout the day... some from the company and some from the basic effects of cancer... but being surrounded by smiling faces and laughter keeps her spirits up.

When I called Kelly this morning to check on mom's fever she said, "your mom is awake and looks pretty good today, compared to yesterday."  That wasn't saying much since yesterday was a very tough day for her, to say the least.  She told me that mom was talking a lot and said she wanted some make-up... specifically "smokey eyes".... and to do something with her hair.  Of course I said, "Smokey eyes?  Please take her temperature because I've never heard her talk like that."  Her temp was 100.4 so although she looked good and talked a lot, she was on the border between the comfortable couch and the freeway to UW medical center.  As the day went on her temp only dropped so she dodged a bullet today.  After I stopped by, I teased her about her make-up comment.  Morgan Osborne was with us so Morgan followed thru with mom's desire and gave her a make-over.  She took off her oxygen and posed for this picture with Chuck and Fran as soon as the make-up was finished.  Anyone who has seen her in the last few days wouldn't believe this was even the same person.

She ate a good breakfast, requested Chatterbox (a local asian restaurant) for lunch and Papa Murphy's pizza for dinner.  Of course she got whatever she wanted.  As long as either of them are craving a certain food, we will make it happen.  Shannon even showed up with Rick's favorite DQ Blizzard.  That put a smile on his face and helped him to forget about his bruised stomach, if only for a few minutes.

As I left the house this evening, all of the crowd from "Doreen Day" had cleared out.  Mom and Dad both looked better than they have in a while.  Mom had good color and was getting around the house on her own.  Dad was soaking his sore feet in the epsom salt solution his oncologist has recommended for this new chemo cocktail.  I think the best medicine for my dad today was seeing the old Doreen back for the day.  I could see in his eyes that his heart needed a day off as well.

Thank you to all of the visitors today.  If anyone is in the area and wants to stop by for a quick visit, please don't hesitate.  The company is good for mom's spirits and if she wants to rest she's not afraid to let you know.

Goodnight, Sleep Tight-
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hey tell mom and dad to hang in there, the stomach shots suck the bruises don't seem to go away but a warm cloth helps after the shots, mom looks great in the picture; your parents are blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. Stay Strong, live long

    Jerrold

    ReplyDelete