Monday, March 8, 2010

Lots of changes

Over the past couple of weeks we've have lots to think about.  Rick is no longer receiving chemo because it's not working,  my chemo is finally working (which hits me with survivors guilt) and now Rick is going to be retiring after 30 years at Wolfkill.  It's time for us to start enjoying what life we have left.  Hopefully, it will be another 20 years, but if not....we will have had a great time along the way.

It's odd how I thought he would put up a fight leaving the job that he felt so safe at.  But, instead, I think he's looking forward to some special time together, maybe spending a little more time at Desert Aire, visiting Dave and Val at their new home in Leavenworth.  Whatever makes him happy, I want to be right there as an active participant.

Shannon got an amazing job with Seattle Storm (the WNBA professional women's basketball team) so I'm sure we'll have to support her endeavors too.  Rick has never been to Angie's school and watched her teach (it's one of my favorite things to do) so I'm going to bring him to Marysville to witness what a fabulous teacher his daughter is...then I might take him to lunch. :) We've been able to watch Jake coach his boys and girls basketball teams and that's been fun too.  I'm not sure we can follow Amy to her undercover jobs as a special agent for the gambling commission so we might have to limit our time with her at home or out for dinner.  We've got great kids.  They'll make sure we're not bored.   Hopefully we'll be busy a lot of the time.  It will keep our minds from wandering to places it shouldn't go.

I knew I would have a sad little moment today when I got up because our house guests are gone.  Dave and Val have moved into their beautiful home (but they'll be back in 9 days...Dave's got so other job to do...yahoo for me)  It surprised all of us how well we got along these past 6 months sharing the TV, bathrooms, kitchen, and just general space.  I think we could have lived in a commune :)  Think of the money we would have saved.  Our remodeled bathroom is complete and absolutely gorgeous.  It was a gift from Dave and Val for the time they spent with us.  I'll never be able to thank them enough for this beautiful gesture.

This past round of chemo has given me a stomach ache that I can't seem to shake.  Just about the time I think it's gone, it hits me again.  I am feeling a little better about it today so perhaps I'm on the mend.  I've had a low grade fever the whole week too.  Nothing that tylenol won't cut, but I've got to stay on the safe side and keep checking it.

Ok, I think I've rambled enough.  Keep us in your thought and prayers as we go through all these new changes.  We'll be just fine, but it's always nice to know you've got someone at your side during the journey.

Dreaming Big,
Dor

7 comments:

  1. Dor,
    Thank you so much for your update. I am the daughter of a lung cancer survivor as well. You and your husband's fight is inspiring. I've been following your blog for months now and I've even gone back and read them from the beginning. Keep up the amazing fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have more than just ONE someone at your side. We're all still here. Maybe not so vocal, but we're here. Just close your eyes and you'll feel our support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your family are in inspiration to a lot of folks. You have so many people praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Retirement is another one of those beautiful words! Congratulations, Rick!
    Have fun you two!!
    Love,
    Neener

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted you to know that I think of you and Rick often, and pray for both of you everyday.

    Kim G-RFL Team Wellness

    ReplyDelete
  6. 30 years is a LONG time. His retirement is greatly deserved. Congrats, Rick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Rick on your well deserved retirement. Not many people can say they worked at one place for 30 years. As for you Dor and the rest of your family, everyday is day that doesn't go by that you are not in our thoughts and prayers. We're in the wind in your face, the warmth of the sun, the newly budding flowers and trees and the many many smiles you see each day you guys are with us. Close your eyes, stretch out your arms and slowly turn a circle, can you feel us?

    ReplyDelete