Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Great Weekend then Disappointment

I just spent a great weekend at Desert Aire with my sister in law, Vickie.  We laughed and slept, then laughed and ate, then laughed some more.  It was just what I needed before I start the clinical trial.

At my doctor's visit I learned that I will begin the trial this Friday (at which time I will also learn which trial I will actually be on...with or without Tarceva)  The first day is a long process.  Blood work, appointment, take pills, play around for 3 or 4 hours, come back and do more blood work and EKG...then go home.  That process is only once a month.  Otherwise, it's pills only at home.  I'm looking forward to getting something started.  Although there was little growth in the tumors in my lymph nodes, there was lung capacity loss in both lungs and more signs of cancer in the middle right lobe, and bottom lobes of both lungs.  I'm ready for that kind of growth to stop.

Today I'm babysitting my grand dog at Angie's.  Susie (the cutest granddog around) has an ear infection and she needed some extra lovin', so who better than me?  Actually, they've moved into a new neighborhood and when she doesn't feel good or gets anxious she tends to bark more.  The new neighbors don't like that so I told the girls I would stay at their house and keep her inside with me.

As I was writing this blog, I just got a call from Dr. Eaton in Seattle.  He informed me that they discovered during one of my trials (at another hospital), I took a drug that disqualifies me from this study.  I'm sitting here in shock.  I had it all figured out.  This was the trial that was going to do the trick.  I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it.  He was disappointed too when he called.  Thursday is his day off from patients, so he is going to study my case all day with some of his colleagues and try to find a new game plan.  Sometimes we just don't get what we wish for.

I'll continue to DREAM BIG...
Love, Doreen

3 comments:

  1. My hopes and dreams are with you. Knowing you, something with Dr. Eaten will happen. God bless.....and I absolutely LOVE the Mariner picture of you and your Ricky. You make such a beautiful couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doreen, You do not know me, however, I stumbled upon your blog quite sometime ago and have followed your story. I just wanted to say what a strong loving woman you are and how you and your beloved husband did an awesome raising your family. I have shared your joys and tears and just couldn't stop and read this time without sending you a cross country hug from NJ. I will be praying for you and your that your doctor comes up with an even better plan for you. Miracles happen everyday and they usually made someones dream come true. Keep dreaming, Doreen!

    Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dor...my heart just goes out for you...God is still in control and will take care of you...rest in His arms till they figure out what to do next

    ReplyDelete