Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Better Late than NEVER

First, let me apologize for being a slacker in the blog department.  I know you all understand that I've had other things on my mind, but I still should have written a few lines to let you know we're all doing ok.

Last Wednesday I packed up my belongings and a bunch of chubbies (full of oxygen) and rode with Dave and Val to their new home in Plain, WA (right near the Wenatchee River and Leavenworth - beautiful country).  Val and I had a wonderful couple of days exploring the area and shopping.  I came home on Sunday with the Schemenauer's who were at their cabin on the same river.  I'm already looking forward to my next visit with them.  I sure wish Rick was here to see their finished product...he would have loved it.

Out of the blue yesterday, Amy told me that going to Boston was on her bucket list and wondered if I'd like to join her on a quick little trip before she starts a new job with the Air Force.  Much to her surprise, I said "sure, why not"?  So, we've already booked our flight, hotel, found the closest place to get oxygen for me while I'm there, and bought tickets for the Yankees vs. Red Sox game at the new Yankee stadium.  I'm sure between now and the 15th of May (I know it's very soon) she'll plan many more outings for us.  Don't worry, we'll be back just in time for Relay for Life.  Don't tell her, but I'm tired already just thinking about it.


During my time off from writing a blog, I had a little visit at the emergency room with a fever.  It appeared I had a sinus infection.  Once I started the antibiotic and kept taking tylenol, I felt new again. I've been feeling much better from the chemo this week just in time to get it again on Tuesday.  It's sad for me to go to Seattle Cancer Care anymore because Rick and I usually went together.  It's another new normal I'm going to have to adjust to but for now...I don't like it.

Part of my reason for not writing lately is I had to "get real" about some of facts of losing my spouse..This week I picked out a headstone for Rick (and I).  It's beautiful and he would have liked it too.  I had to notify social security, insurance companies, and banks about his death.  It could have been a lot worse for me, but Rick did a good job of having all the important stuff filed in their appropriate spots.  I think I've got most of it covered except for some additional thank you's that have come in from Hospice.  Thanks to all of you who have made donations to your favorite charity in his name.


I promise to write soon.


XOXO,
Dor

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you have some exciting things coming up! If your feeling up to it this weekend...there is a kids play "Spin" at the SHS this Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 7pm. We'd love to see you there! Hope to see you soon.

    Love, Allison R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOING TO BOSTON!! So sweet, I cant wait to read those blogs and you better talk to our Red Sox and tell them to pick up there game!

    Love you Doreen

    Aaron B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick was such a good husband, putting all that stuff in order for you. I can't imagine what you're going through right now, but I bet that not having to search for such things makes it a little easier.

    Sending you lots of hugs and just want to know that I think about you and your family daily, hoping for the best!

    Enjoy Boston!

    ReplyDelete