Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Closure


The past week has been a whirlwind.  We knew that dad was getting worse but as strange as it may sound, I don't think anyone really believed that he was going to die.  Both of our parents had been defying the odds of survival for so long it just seemed as though some type of clinical trial would come along that would buy him some time.  It just went so fast.

Some of the things that people might not know are that my dad officially retired from Wolfkill on Friday March 26.  When he walked in the door that afternoon and sat in his chair, he never left the house again.  He had a few good moments the following few days but then began to slip away on Monday.

Another thing you might not know is that Angie had left for Tahiti and Bora Bora on Saturday March 27th. She had the trip planned for a long time and she was looking forward to spending spring break relaxing and re-charging her batteries, like everyone kept telling her to do.  When she left, my dad was fine.  We were giving Angie updates each day and then finally called and encouraged her to come home on Wednesday when things began to look a lot worse.  Angie traveled nearly 22 hours straight to say goodbye to my dad, but after all of the traveling, she arrived 30 minutes after his passing.

The day after dad passed away my immediate family was at the funeral home making arrangements for the funeral when Angie got a text message that her next door neighbor and good friend was one of the people killed in the oil refinery explosion in Anacortes, WA.  She had lost her father and friend within 10 hours.  We all knew Matt as well so it was another blow to our family that was already struggling with the normal emotions of losing a loved one.

Mom has had numerous visitors the past few days and we are grateful for the time you have spent with her.  She is doing pretty well for the most part but we all have our moments when we forget he is gone and we break down.  I know that I have been so busy with funeral preparations the past few days that I haven't left my parents house since last Wednesday.  Last night, I packed my bag and decided to go home.  As I kissed my mom goodbye I turned toward my dad's chair to kiss him.  Everyone saw me do it and it was difficult for everyone else as well as they saw that I had forgotten.  I had a bit of a breakdown.  I have seen 1000 pictures of him the past few days so it is as if he is still here.  Last night... I remembered.

If you are in the Stanwood area and would like to attend the viewing it is from 9am-5pm today at Gilbertson's funeral home.  We saw him last night and he looks absolutely fabulous.  He is more at peace today than I have seen him in months.  We hope this week brings all of us closure on the loss of a quiet hero.

Missing my dad-
Amy

3 comments:

  1. UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN
    In the silence of your slumber
    There's a low-lit burning fuse
    Your journeys almost over
    And you've paid your final dues

    Your sun will now be setting
    From a view I cannot see
    A prism of crystal colors
    That plays a beautiful symphony

    You'll finally have the option
    To soar on the eagles wing
    To fly from near the mountain tops
    Down to the nearest stream

    No more burdens of this life
    You'll not find them around
    You'll finally be released
    Of the chains that held you down

    And I won't hold you back
    Being selfish with my tears
    By dwelling on your life
    That you had when you were here

    With unconditioned love
    I send with thee my friend
    And holding memories dear
    Until we meet again.

    Written by Leslie Plyler
    with Dennis Coty 1948-2002

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life on this earth is precious and short. But it is a tiny drop in the bucket and a pitiful comparison to the amazing beauty, warmth, perfection and love waiting for us in the arms of God. Take comfort in your faith and the hope and promise that lies there.
    We are praying for you and are so sorry....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry that I couldn't be there for Rick's memorial...but you all were in my thots and prayers as you laid your dad and husband to rest....may God be your comfort during this time

    ReplyDelete