Saturday, April 10, 2010

My thoughts

I've been wanting to write a blog for the past couple of days but my emotions were a little too raw to share how life was going at the Schmitt house. 

What no one tells you, is that planning a memorial (celebration of life) service is a lot like planning a wedding... only you get about 2 days to do all the work.  In the end, I could not have asked for anything more beautiful or respectful for my one true love.   The church was set up for just under 500 people and the pastor told us they did a head count and the number was more like 740 people.  The church was filled with family, friends, co-workers, business acquaintances, friends and loved ones of both mine and the kids.  Rick would have been honored to see so many people pay tribute to what a great guy he was.

Most of the time I'm doing just fine (when you have a lot of work to do it takes your mind off the sadness).  What I've found recently is my tears are tears from happy memories, or a smell, or just remembering how much love we shared and I feel a huge hole in my heart.  I know it will get easier as time goes on, but for now I need to enjoy the memories as they come (even if they're followed by tears).

After the celebration of life ceremony on Wednesday, we went to the cemetery for the burial.  My dear friend Nancy had 100 red and black balloons delivered for us to release when the service was over.  The wind was blowing just right, so when Pastor Mich was finished we let off 100 balloons and we watched them sail over the town, his work, the high school where he watched hundreds of high school ball games.  It was another beautiful tribute.  Thank you Nancy for thinking of us.

As a family, we want to thank all of you who attended the service, sent flowers, made donations, sent cards, gave hugs, kept us in your prayers, worked behind the scene to make the reception run well, and the video turn out fabulous and all the other pieces I'm forgetting.  I have never felt so blessed to live in a community filled with kindness, generosity and more love than I thought possible..

You have all made this journey as bearable as possible and that was no easy task.

Love you MOST,
Doreen

5 comments:

  1. Doreen my heart is aching for your family. Through your blog, I feel like I knew Rick, and am so heartbroken at his passing.

    Sending tons of love and happy memories your way! (And a virtual internet hug)

    Tai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doreen,
    I am so sorry to hear of Rick's passing. My heart felt thoughts are for you and your family. God bless you all!
    Dixie (Heather's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wise person once told me the moment we are born and take that first breath we begin to die.I know it doesnt ease the pain you are going thru right now but think of the years of memories you have to remember a great person.The memories will help with teh healing, and just think what a ANGEL you have to watch over you now. Take time for yourself and the battle you are still going through, I know you will kick the cancer in the butt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This town is amazing. Cheri Ovenell Wickstrom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so sad when I couldn't make it to the memorial....but then there would have been 741 people :)
    My prayers are still with you as you process this new stage of life....

    ReplyDelete