Sunday, May 16, 2010

Crazy 8's...

Today was a blast. After sleeping a lot yesterday I woke up early and was showered and dressed before the alarm went off at 7:45. I think Amy was shocked when she sat up and saw me fully dressed (shoes and all) and ready to start our day.


Lauren picked us up around 9:30 outside of the hotel. After a quick stop at Starbucks we were on our way north for the day. We took the scenic route thru New Hampshire and then up into Maine. Our first stop was a little beach town we stumbled upon called Old Orchard Beach. The little boardwalk looked cute so we stopped to shop and walk on the beach. While walking around we found an arcade. The girls looked at me funny when I said we needed to go inside and play, but they followed me in anyway.

We played a few games but on our way out we saw the "Deal or No Deal" game. I wanted us to play together. The game showed all of the numbers on the screen and then it flipped them around and started to scramble them all over the screen at an uncontrollable pace. The goal was to follow the number that said "1000 tickets" on it. When the scrambling stopped Amy said "It's #8". Lauren and I both laughed because it seemed impossible to follow but we figured what the heck. We picked suitcase number 8 and then started to play. We were doing pretty well and it got down to 2 suitcases. We turned down the 510 arcade tickets that the banker was offering and took our chances with #8. We won. 1000 tickets started shooting out of the machine. We were high-fiving and laughing. It was so much fun.



We took our 1044 tickets over to the prize station and bought a whole baggy of "amusement quality" toys and games. We left with 9 rubber (livestrong like) bands that said DREAM on them (go figure)... a whoopee cushion.... some twizzlers... and three lollipops. We were like little kids. Our final stop on the way out of the arcade was the photo booth. We crammed into the booth, suckers in mouth and laughter on our faces.

When we left Old Orchard Beach we headed further north to Portland Maine. I wasn't that hungry but we stopped for lunch on a restaurant boat. It was the best clam chowder I have ever had. We decided to save the lobster for dinner some night when we were hungrier.

We headed back to Boston, taking a detour through the Cambridge area. After a few hour nap (and rooting for the Celtics on TV) we headed out for dinner at a great place called Finale.  It was wonderful and we are already talking about going back again.

It's time to crawl in bed and get some rest.  We have a big day in New York tomorrow rooting for the Red Sox... at Yankee Stadium.  Wish us luck.  :)

Sleep tight,

Dor

3 comments:

  1. Hi there - I came across your blog site a week or so ago and have been reading some each day. Imagine my surprise when I logged on today and saw your pictures in Old Orchard Beach, since I have lived here for the past 11 years now !! Sorry I missed your earlier posts or I would have suggested meeting you at The Pier. I have been laughing and crying while reading your blogs. You are such a strong person and a huge inspiration to many people.

    I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in December 2009. I did 6 rounds of chemo and have experienced "continued shrinkage" throughout. I go back in June to see where everything finally ended up. It is very scary since I am a single Mom to a 13 year old boy and I pray every day that I won't have to leave him before my time.

    Anyway, glad you enjoyed Old Orchard Beach, or OOB as we affectionately call ourselves. If you are ever back in the area please let me know. You can email me at ljenkins@maine.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us along on your trip. I know why Amy likes Boston... She's familiar with the accent! Did Lauren pawk the caw in the yawd? The weather looks great. ENJOY!
    Love,
    Neener

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you are having an amazing time in Boston Dor. You deserve the vacation. I will be checking in daily to see how the rest of your adventure goes! Enjoy it. Missing you! Cant wait til the walk on Friday!
    Love, Rach

    ReplyDelete